It’s something that I have noticed whenever I venture into the mainstream media, which is happening rarer and rarer these days. Whenever there is a mention of social media it is nearly always a negative aspect whether it’s bullying or a god awful example of social media done wrong.
While this isn’t a new trend it certainly doesnt help when this is the first thing that comes to mind for many people when they think of social media. For example some people don’t use Twitter because they’re under the impression that they will receive a tsunami of hate for what they Tweet about. As much as things have moved into the digital landscape people still get a lot of their information from mainstream media and as a result base their opinions on what they read.
Lessons for people
One of the main things I have learned is that if you go looking for trouble, trouble will find you. Lets face it the internet will never be free of trolls and people who go out of their way to start an argument. How ever you don’t have to let them ruin your own experience online. For example certain topics will always result in an often divided and hostile audience. If you can avoid these topics then do. If you become the victim of someone sending negative tweets you can simply report and block them. Trust me in my 8 years of using social media I have not experienced any hostility from fellow users. The biggest issue I have come up against is spam (something I have already talked about).
Learn the basics
A golden rule I live by with social media is start off the way mean to continue. As with all other things learn about the tools you’re going to use.
- Learn the basics of social media etiquette – For example with Twitter thank someone for following or retweeted your content. These small things can get you off on the right foot. Also if you share others content acknowledge them in your tweet.
- Tailor who you follow and in return like minded people will start following you. If you follow people involved in business the business people will follow you, sport for sport and etc. Thats one of the great things with social media, you can tailor to your interests. One word of advice avoid following fake accounts, try to follow real people and in return real people will follow you (ignore bots). Below is an example of people following me and who I follow
- Don’t take social media too serious. You don’t want to pour your heart and soul out. It is a great tool to get word out about events and news but adding a little humour can help connect with others. Never underestimate the power of the meme!!
Social Media has faults but it can also be a benefit
Social media isn’t perfect (shock horror). But there are some great benefits to using it. The two main ones for the general public are:
- It keeps you connected, I have cousins all over the world and social media allows you to communicate with them in real time whenever you want.
- You can find out the latest news at the click of a button where ever it is in the world.
Finally when it comes to social I would live by this quote from yours truly
That’s just my opinion though. If you have any questions or opinions about what I wrote please leave a comment or follow me on Twitter.